Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what's known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you'll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won't find anywhere else.
The Roblox Avatar defines the identity of a Roblox player and is one of the key axes around which the Roblox Metaverse construct is built. As a Principal Engineer on the Avatar Appearance team, you will be part of the senior staff, ushering in state-of-the-art character technologies that will enhance the range of character look and behavior from the classic toy-like characters to photorealistic humans and anywhere in between.
You are experienced and passionate about powering the future generation of Roblox's high-performant real-time characters and the developer tools that will enable millions of Roblox developers and creators to easily create characters through intuitive user interfaces. You will be building cutting edge technology in the areas of real-time cloth, rendering, geometry/modeling, character rigging and high-performance distributed computing. If you enjoy working in an exciting, fast-paced environment where we hold the "long view" as sacrosanct, you'll enjoy the challenges here at Roblox.
- Educated: Bachelor's degree in a related CG field. Masters and PhDs preferred.
- Experienced: 10+ years in the game industry, computer graphics or related field
- Proficient: Strong in C++ with experience working on large complex code bases
- Knowledgeable: Strong understanding of modern real-time 3D engines, with a track record of influencing and applying state of the art research in the fields of computer graphics, computer vision, animation and machine learning to synthesize character appearance, motion, simulation and interaction.
- Customer-centric: Passion for performance and top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engines, tools, and pipelines
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Driven: A desire to learn, explore and provide value in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Team-oriented: Solid communication and collaboration skills
- Become an expert on the Roblox Avatar data model and core engine functionality that drive our character systems.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to realize the research efforts into the Roblox production game engine and tools.
- Become an expert on Roblox Studio, our content creation tools, and pipeline
- Drive the future of avatar technology through strong vision, combined with detailed execution strategy that optimizes for fidelity, performance and compatibility.
- Lead other engineers by example and through visionary technical direction and improve the overall quality bar of the team.
- Collaborate with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Be guided by the company vision to put the Roblox community first and represent the company through thought leadership
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar