Gearbox Software is looking for a Senior Online Programmer to join us in developing projects in Unreal Engine 4. This role involves working in a team environment to create exciting and meaningful opportunities through the implementation of online features. This role will work closely with other departments to create the online experience for players across multiple platforms. Senior Online Programmers will also work to mentor and train other Online Programmers and work with the Online Programming Lead to create long term roadmaps for the department. Candidates should possess substantial familiarity with online systems, including platform APIs and backend services.
- Design and implement platform agnostic interfaces that expose rich online and connected experiences.
- Work closely with gameplay and UI programmers to integrate online features specific to a platform or title.
- Provide game-side support for interfacing with backend services.
- Collaborate with the design team as an advocate and resource for the user's online experience.
- Evangelize new and current platforms and online technologies within the company
- 5+ years game industry experience
- Familiarity with current generation console APIs
- Must be able to work well in a team environment
- Well versed in C++ and object-oriented programming
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have extensive knowledge of current online products and trends
- Possess a strong passion to create amazing online experiences
- Intimate knowledge regarding game sessions, matchmaking, voice, and online connectivity
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 in both engine and game code
- Experience with client-server architectures and RESTful services
- Intimate knowledge of multiplayer fundamentals such as roles, relevancy, replication, prediction, states, and simulations
- Familiarity with robust network communication through protocols such as WebRTC and XMPP
- Experience with bandwidth profiling and optimization
- Familiarity with design patterns and software architecture
- Experience maintaining backwards compatibility of complex systems through automated unit tests or test-driven development