A Senior Level Designer at The Gearbox Entertainment Company is a development role focused on building richly imagined worlds for our players to explore. Senior Level Designers will work as part of a Worldbuilding team that combines level designers, level artists, mission designers, and lighting artists. Seniors Level Designers work for the Lead Level Designer and Worldbuilding Director. They are expected to help assist those leads design and build major pieces of content, and assist them with mentorship and training of new hires. They will work in multi-disciplinary teams and be expected to help facility the creative process and good communication throughout the unit.
Candidates should be familiar with Unreal Engine, preferably with shipped Unreal 4 experience in the AAA space. They should have a firm grasp of modern FPS level design techniques and be aware of what competitors are doing in the space. Level Designers with experience building open worlds, co-op games, or online games will be given preference.
Through it all, a Senior Level Designer is expected to maintain a positive team environment, foster good communication across teams, and encourage positive, healthy behavior for their peers. All Senior Designers at Gearbox are expected to contribute to building a company culture around creativity, profit, and happiness.
***Due to uncertainty around Covid-19, this role will start off as a full-time work-from-home job. Equipment will be provided by Gearbox. When it is safe to reopen our physical office, this job may be required to be on-site at our Frisco, TX studio, Quebec City, QC studio, or off-site in a pre-approved state.***
- Assisting project and departmental leadership with major piece of level design content
- Owning level design content from pitch to ship
- Maintain a great track record of working with other departments to provide clear instructions and feedback, as well as maintain positive team morale
- Assisting with training and mentoring new hires
- Helping maintain department standards and being a positive influence on their team
- Industry veteran with 2+ AAA games shipped from beginning to end in a level design role, or comparable experience
- Professional familiarity with Unreal Engine, preferably with shipped AAA experience
- Deep understanding of modern AAA action games and production practices
"Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law."