The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem andHomeworld. Gearbox's ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability. For more information, visitwww.Gearbox.com.
In addition to our games, Gearbox supports a suite of online services known as Shift. Shift powers many of our online features including crossplay, telemetry, player rewards, and more.
The Shift team is looking for an SDK Engineer. The Shift SDK is a suite of applications, tools, libraries, and plugins written in C, C++, and C# that enable games to communicate with our services. You'll work closely with our superior web service developers (they made us call them that) which means you'll have a voice in the design and standards discussions. You'll also work closely with game developers, QA, and external partners. That last one is a fancy term for third-party game developers which means you'll occasionally be asked to provide support, so your communication skills (written and verbal) will need to be sick, yo.
Experience designing software that is modular, scales well and is highly interoperable will be important (some game coders are weaponized and don't take kindly to inconsistent or inconvenient coding interfaces.) Since this is an SDK that provides an API, documentation will be important. You don't have to be one of those weirdos that enjoys writing documentation, but it couldn't hurt.
- Add support for new features as they come online
- Work with our developer partners and superior web service developers to provide the best possible API that leverages the platform
- Work with QA to ensure they have ways of recognizing and diagnosing issues that may arise
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Solid grasp of C++
- 3+ years of software development and product delivery experience
- Must be a quick study to learn new technologies
- Able to collaborate with multiple parties on design and standards decisions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with Unreal or Unity Engine
- Multiple platform development experience (Windows, Linux, game consoles, etc.)
- Familiarity with web technologies like REST or WebSockets
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminateon the basis ofrace, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.