Crytek is looking for a Lead Game Designer
to work on an unannounced AAA project in our Frankfurt, Germany based studio.
The Lead Game Designer is responsible for leading the game design team by both driving the overall game concept, and the implementation of the detailed elements of the game design.
This role will work closely with all the other stakeholders in a Lead level as well as production team and other stakeholders when necessary.
*Required documents that allow a careful evaluation of your application are resume, cover letter and additional samples (Animation Demo Reel / Portfolio link)*
Back to all jobs
- Report to the Game Director and Producers about all aspects of the project in order to execute the project's vision, while proactively pushing the quality bar and fun-factor of the title.
- Lead, manage and mentor the game design team on a day-to-day basis to ensure a high level of quality.
- Create a work environment that is motivating for team members and which fosters development and creation.
- Work closely with the Lead Level Designer in overseeing and managing the level design process and production pipeline from both an aesthetic and game play perspective.
- Drive the creation and maintain documentation of design solutions.
- Work with the player in mind, and make designs that focus on a unique player experience.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- Complete all tasks in a timely manner and to a consistent high-quality standard.
- Remains focused, motivated and effective on all tasks through completion.
- Collaborate with the design, art and technical teams to implement and iterate on the game vision.
- Assist in any additional design documentation and in-game dialogue writing.
- Participate in meetings, reviews, and planning as part of effective communication with the team.
- You will work closely with Producers and Project Managers in the planning and monitoring of the various stages of the project development.
- Attend play tests and be solution-oriented to the problem encountered.
- Coordinate with all disciplines (management, art, programming, audio, and animation) to ensure the project's deliverables are stable and clear.
- Actively participate and act as a regular liaison in the decision-making process with management and oversee the necessary adjustments to ensure that the game design team meets expectations, and also communicates high-level expectations.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in game design.
- Must have shipped at least two AAA titles as a Game Designer, and at least one of them as a Lead Game Designer.
- Excellent knowledge of the principles of game design and balancing, level design, gameplay theory.
- Proven ability to create high level design documentation and game concepts.
- Proven ability to work with narrative designers to create a compelling game story.
- Used Agile Methodology as a design and development process, particularly SCRUM.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Excellent understanding of player expectations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work proactively with other department leads.
- Displays initiative and passion for creating high quality and engaging games.
- Willingness to have an open mind and adapt and iterate designs.
- Deep passion for gaming, preferably FPS sandbox games.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are must.
- Keep a positive team-oriented attitude.
- Be proactive and self-motivated, work without direct supervision.
- Willing to relocate to Frankfurt am Main area, Germany.
- Relevant education and diploma (Game Design, Computer Science, Engineering, etc.).
- Works well under pressure and is capable of multi-task tracking.
- Has an expansive knowledge base of games of all genres and platforms.
- Experience with virtual reality development.
What you can expect from us
- A refreshing yet highly professional atmosphere in a diverse team.
- Flexible work time.
- Free public transportation ticket, which lets you use public transport free of charge 24/7.
- Free onsite German lessons for our employees.
- Company language is English. Any additional language is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Extensive assistance with getting visa, work permits and communication with local authorities.
- Relocation support.
- A company apartment for your first few months and help in finding a private apartment....and many more!